Poppies

Some fabulous Year 9 pupils went with Miss Gray (Art) and Mr Cordwell (History & English) on a visit to the Yorkshire Sculpture park to see a Poppies instalment.  They have produced some beautiful sensitive responses in all three subject areas.  But here are a couple of the written pieces.

Poppies

Ed Webster 9S1

12/11/2015

A great man once said “every action has an equal and opposite reaction.” When I visited the poppies I finally understood what this meant. Only a fraction of the poppies were at the YSP but still it hit me hard. Every single poppy represents a life lost on our side of the war. If each of these actions has an opposite reaction then just as many died for the Germans, if not more for in the end we won.

The effects of war don’t just end there though. Each of the men who died had a mother who would lose the boy they loved and brought up. A mother should never outlive her children. Lots of the brave men would have little brothers and sisters who would never again see their older brothers. And finally these men probably had children and wives. If the child was a baby then they’d never know there dad in person and for the wives, the men they love would never again say I love you.

This grief would be worldwide. Everyone would’ve lost someone or know someone who lost someone. And for the men who came back, they had witnessed friends die and horrors that a man shouldn’t ever have to witness. This affected all the men deeply, some wouldn’t be able to function.

When I saw the poppies all this hit me in the heart and made me realise how war can affect people. The poppies just show the pointlessness of war. I’m not sure if it was just me who felt like this but if everyone who sees the sculpture feels the way I did, I know that people will be much more reluctant to cause war.

Our Visit to Yorkshire Sculpture Park

Fin Ashton

In Yorkshire Sculpture Park, the artists expressed their feelings through their art work and sculptures, especially the poppy sculpture. This particular sculpture is dedicated to the heroes who gave their lives in the war to save ours and we represent them with red poppies. At the bottom of the sculpture, there are lots of poppy’s piled onto each other, but as it gets further up, there is only a few, I think that this shows maybe that things can be seen in different ways, when you are far you see one big wave of red poppies, but when you are close, you can see how every individual poppy is uniquely shaped, this maybe tells me that people have two sides to them.

The second sculpture was different to the rest as it was firstly moving and secondly displayed on a screen. We were told that the artist loved to watch the horses run around where he came from and sculpted this artwork on a screen to make it move.

Finally, the last sculpture was the head of a rabbit on a woman’s body, but the body was separated in half. When you go close, you can see that it is made of thin wire. The artist chose to give the figure a rabbit’s head because it is different, people would normally think that they would choose a powerful animal like a lion for the head. She morphs these to combine the attitude of each animal.