A-LEVEL ENGLISH LANGUAGE EXAM 2016: SPOKEN LANGUAGE

post-telegraphic-stage-250wFirstly, I can’t overstate how important it is that you use the CORRECT terms! So…let’s start with a reminder of those spoken  language terms: SPOKEN LANG FEATURES – GCSE  But of course it ain’t all about spoken language terms – no siree, Bob! Remind yourself of those all-important key constituents: SOME KEY LANGUAGE TERMS – A-LEVEL  And here’s a quick  PPT to get you thinking about active and passive utterances in a sporting context: Active or passive. 

So, in this paragraph we’re getting down to the business of spoken language – check out these 4 resources. Firstly, here’s a PPT  on the difference between the two basic types of Spoken Language – Prepared & Spontaneous (don’t forget that it could be a  mix, e.g. a debate in Parliament): Prepared vs spontaneous speech. Done? Good. Now, I reckon that you could argue that  all language is fundamentally about power. Think about it. Meantime, here’s a really useful PPT about Language and Power (with a few theories thrown in): Language and Power. Speaking of theories, here are a number of useful gender theories to add to your collection: Gender theories  And here we have a nice PPT about child language acquisition: Language acquisition

That’s all very helpful, Mr Johnson but I don’t recall how to structure my answer in the exam. Not a problem. Check my advice out here (I’ve also included past questions and a quick note about politics, which hasn’t appeared on the exam for a while. By the way, like my note about politics, it would be a good idea to jot down a list of what you would expect in other contexts, e.g. interviews, conversations, commentaries, etc.): COMPONENT 1 ADVICE & PAST QUESTIONS  Alrighty, but how should all of this stuff actually look on paper? Well, here’s how I would write about a prepared speech: Boston bombings analysis  (note the lack of non-fluency features)And here are two examples for spontaneous speech: Russell Brand Example2  (television interview) and June 2010 exemplar paragraph (television commentary). I’m not going to include an exemplar from the exam board as the pieces that you’ve produced are vastly superior.

Here’s the structure advice for Paper 3 (creative writing/analysis): COMPONENT 3 ADVICE

I know (emphatic stress) that you’ll do well in the exams so all that’s left for me to say is that I wish you all the very best in whatever you choose to do in life.

It’s been a pleasure.

Mr J